FO - Wavy Scarf & Elizabeth I!!

First of all... here she is!! I'm so very proud of her. My first Alice Starmore. My first adult size sweater, really. (I did make Klaralund and I guess that counts, but it had no shaping and was on size 8 needles. This has lots of shaping and was on size 3 needles.)

It took me almost (but NOT quite,) a year. Mostly because I kept putting her aside. I had gauge issues: I got stitch gauge perfectly but my row gauge was way too big. So I subtracted as many rows as I could in the body and hoped for the best. Turns out, it was okay! It fits me really well and I love it! I've even worn it once already!

Introducing... Elizabeth I



Pattern: Elizabeth I from the book Tudor Roses by Alice Starmore
Yarn: 100% merino, recycled from a Banana Republic ribbed pullover. I have enough left to make a matching cap and some gloves.
Needles: size 3
Modifications: I just left out some rows in the lower body to make up for my row gauge being off.

Once I was at the point where Elizabeth needed to be sewn together and the stitches at the neck picked up, she was no longer portable. So, I needed a mindless project. I didn't want to cast on for a pair of socks 'cause I thought I'd be knitting my sample pair for Cookie A. in April (turns out I'm not going to knit until May,) so I cast on a simple scarf.



I bought the yarn a year ago at The Knitting Basket in Montclair in Oakland. Just to make this scarf. So, I feel good that I finally did it! I started it on Easter and blocked it out a few days ago. I like it! The colors striped in a funny diagonal wide stripe, which is not what I expected. It's so hard to see what Koigu is going to do by looking at the skeins.

Yarn: Koigu KPPM
Pattern: Wave Scarf
Needles: Size 8
Modifications: None

Now, I have 2 projects I'm working on.

I'm still plugging away on the Melon Shawl. The body of it is finished and I have started the edging. (I linked to Grumperina's Melon Shawl, 'cause it's so pretty.) I will absolutely be dying it a richer purple. I love the soft alpaca, though!

I have picked up my ancient, dusty Zaftig from Knitty.com. I crocheted all the trim around the edges the other night and went to Beverly's today to pick up the elastic I needed. Now I just need to sew in the elastic and I'll be done! I haven't been able to find a pretty ribbon to lace into it -- I like that and I want to to do it. But I have to hunt about more. I think a trip to Stone Mountain and Daughter is in order!

Comments

Carrie said…
Holy Moly that Elizabeth I is gorgeous!! And recycled yarn to boot. How much do you rock? :)
Amy said…
I can't get over that sweater! It's perfect, congratulations!
Anonymous said…
Gorgeous sweater! I tried Zaftig, once upon a time. I was a very new knitter and had serious gauge issues. Please let us know how yours turns out!
Unknown said…
Too beautiful for words! AND - I love the color

Miss Alice
funsize said…
Elizabeth is lovely! Thanks for your comment, I was trying to remember what Wilder book I read about knitted/rag/spiral rugs, but I can't remember. It's likely my brain grafted memories of bits of all those things that Ma Ingalls would do, like knitting, with Almanzo's mother selling rag scraps to the tin peddler. Aren't brains funny?

Popular posts from this blog

FO - Huckleberry Ascot from Interweave Holiday 2007

FO - Melon Shawl - Margo learns that color can be changed!